Customer Service Frequently Asked Questions


  • Who should I call in case of a water emergency, such as a water main, service line break or broken fire hydrant?

    For water emergencies, call the Regional Water Authority at 203-562-4020. This line is monitored 24 hours a day/seven days a week/365 days a year. Please DO NOT email us with an emergency.

  • How can I change my mailing address?

    To change your mailing address, call our Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020, email or send a request in writing to Regional Water Authority Customer Care, 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven, CT 06511.

  • How can I add a name to my account?

    Billed customers can only be property owners or tenants. Tenant accounts can be set up when the RWA receives written authorization from the property owner. See below for additional information regarding owner billing and property closings. In all cases, the request is handled by the Customer Care Center.

  • How do I get water turned on in my name?

    If you are starting service because you’ve purchased property, the attorney handling the property closing will notify us of the transfer, and a new account will be set up in your name.

    If you are a tenant, have your landlord contact the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020 to request a Landlord/Tenant Responsibility form. We will set up the account upon receipt of the completed form if the account meets the criteria. The final bill will be based on an estimated reading unless you provide a meter reading as of the date of move out.

  • When should I expect my first bill?

    The RWA bills monthly. Bills are due and payable upon receipt. Balances over 30 days old are subject to a service charge of 1.5% per month. Click here to see an example the RWA’s bill design, including where to find the payment due date.

  • How do I get my water turned back on (assuming it's been turned off for non-payment)?

    Call the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020 to obtain payment information and to schedule water to be turned on. Payment must be received in our office at 90 Sargent Drive in New Haven by 3:30 p.m. for same-day turn-on. If the payment is received after 3:30 p.m., your water service will be turned on between 8:30 a.m. and 12 p.m. the following day.

  • I’m moving. How do I get water turned off in my name?

    If you are moving out because you have sold your property, contact your attorney’s office to make sure the attorney handling the property closing will notify us of the transfer so that we may final bill your account. We will notify the attorney of the final bill amount so that settlement can be made between you and the buyer at closing, and final payment is remitted by your attorney on your behalf.

    If you are a tenant, you must contact the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020 to request a final bill. The final bill will be based on an estimated reading unless you provide a meter reading as of the date of move-out.

  • How can I determine if my payment has been received?

    Payments can take two to seven days before posting. You may check your account balance by calling 203-562-4020 and selecting Billing and Payment. You can also refer to your latest invoice, which displays the most recent payment posted to your account, or contact the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020.

  • If I can’t pay my bill on time, can I get an extension?

    Contact the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020 to discuss payment arrangements.

  • How many days of water usage are on my bill?

    The billing period is based on 30 days, but the number of days between meter reads can actually range from 28 to 34 days. The “Current Billing Information” box on your invoice will give you the period that is covered by the usage charge on your bill. The service charge is based on a 30-day billing period.

  • I don’t want to pay a bill I think is incorrect. What should I do?

    Any customer who has a question or a complaint about a water bill, or who disputes any or all of it, should contact our Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020. If you remain unsatisfied, you may ask a Company Review Officer to consider the matter. Such a request must be made within 13 days after we mail a termination notice. If the dispute remains unresolved after receipt of the written decision of the Company Review Officer, you may request a further investigation by our Office of Consumer Affairs. Address any correspondence to 90 Sargent Drive, New Haven, CT 06511-5966.

  • Why is my water off?

    Several things can lead to losing water pressure or having a loss of service. Water pressure could be low due to construction in the area or a water pipe repair.

    Contractors or RWA employees hang notices on front doors when they plan to temporarily turn water off to an area. Please call the phone number on the notice.

    The RWA can turn water off if a customer has not paid an overdue bill. Prior to this termination, the customer will receive a disconnect notice on the last water bill. If the RWA has an accurate phone number, you might receive an automated phone message advising that your account is past due and in jeopardy of being disconnected.

  • What should I do if my bill seems higher than usual?

    The most common reason for a high bill is a household leak. To find out if you have a household leak, make sure all the water inside and outside of the house has been turned off. Go to your water meter and check to see if the red arrow on the display is moving. If it is, you may have a household leak. Most often, household leaks are associated with toilets or faucets. You should also check the pipe between the curb box and your house to see if water is surfacing, as well as the sprinkler system timer, water softener, water heater and water filtration unit. If everything seems to be in order or you need assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020. We're here to help.

  • Could the meter equipment cause a high bill?

    High bills typically are the result of increased water consumption, often due to leaks or seasonal usage. Common types of leaks found in the home include leaking toilet flappers, dripping faucets and other leaking valves. If you don’t find a leak, you can call the Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020 for further assistance.

  • How can I save money on my bill?

    You can save money on your water bill by repairing leaks and using water wisely. To check to see if you have a leak, turn off the water inside and outside of your home and look at your water meter. If the red arrow is moving, you could have a household leak.

    The most common culprit for indoor leaks is the toilet. To find out if your toilet leaks, listen for the sound of running water. You can also place a few drops of food coloring in the tank. Don't flush the toilet. Wait 15 minutes. If the coloring is seen in the bowl, the toilet is leaking. Other indications of household leaks are dripping faucets and unusual wet spots in the house or yard. A leak of 30 drops a minute wastes 84 gallons of water a month.

  • Once I’ve repaired household leaks, what other steps can I take to save money on my bill?

    Water your lawn and garden thoroughly, but less frequently and only in the cool times of day. Turn off automatic sprinklers when it rains. Water your lawn only when it needs it; if a screwdriver inserted into the soil goes in seven inches easily, the lawn doesn't need water. Don't let the hose run while washing your car; use a bucket instead with a quick hose rinse at the end. Use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways and sidewalks.

    Inside the house, run only full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher. Don’t use your toilet as a wastebasket. Turn the water off while brushing your teeth and shaving. While waiting for hot water to come down the pipes, capture the cold water in a watering can to use later on your plants. Shorten your showers, or install a low-flow showerhead.

  • How do I pay my water bill?

    Please do not send cash payments through the mail. You can pay your bill:

    • Using e-Billing (paperless billing) 
    • Using your credit card online or by phone
    • Paying through your bank website 
    • Paying cash at an authorized payment location 
    • Paying by mail with a check
  • Can I view my bill online?

    Yes, you can enroll in paperless e-Billing on this page. This will allow you to see your bill online and schedule payments. Or you can view and pay your bill through most bank websites.

  • What happens if I do not pay my bill?

    Not paying a water bill within 30 days leads to collection action and disconnection. Past-due balances are due immediately. If water is disconnected due to nonpayment, service will be restored after full payment of the past-due amount and all delinquent fees. A fee will be charged for each returned check.

  • Where is my water meter?

    Your water meter is generally located inside your home/building where the water service enters the house/building or in a meter vault outside.

  • How do I read my water meter?

    The meter reading is taken from the figures shown in the area that looks like an odometer, right above the words CUBIC FEET on your water meter. The meter shows the total number of cubic feet of water used since the meter was installed. Because RWA’s charge is based on units of 100 cubic feet, the meter reader discards the last two numbers. That number is subtracted from the number the meter showed the last time the meter was read. You are billed for the number of hundred cubic feet of water you have used since the last time your meter was read.

  • What is the best way to turn the water off at my house in an emergency or for repairs?

    You can turn the water off inside your home/building at the main valve. The main valve is generally located where the water service enters the house/building. You should maintain this valve so it is easy to get to in case of an emergency.

  • What should I do if I suspect someone is stealing water?

    Please call our Customer Care Center at 203-562-4020. Our police force will open an investigation.

  • Who maintains the fire hydrants?

    The owner of the hydrant is responsible for maintaining fire hydrants. This might be RWA or it might be your municipality, depending on where you live. The RWA owns public hydrants in Ansonia, Branford, Derby, Milford, North Branford, Orange and Seymour. Privately-owned hydrants in these towns are the responsibility of the owner. Please contact us if you have questions regarding the ownership of a specific hydrant.

    Hydrants in the other municipalities in our water district are owned by the respective town.